Study Visa for Belgium

International Students who wish to study in Belgium, depending upon their nationality may or may not require a Belgian student visa or permit. 

If you’re an EU/EEA or Switzerland student, in that case, you do not require a Belgian Visa.

If you’re a Non-EU/EEA or Swiss national, you need a visa to enter and stay in Belgium- whether your stay is more than 3 months or 90 days or less than 90 days (short stays), you are required to have a Belgian Visa or permit to study in Belgium, participate in a student exchange program, or conduct research or training. 
If the stay is more than3 months or 90days the Non-EU/EEA students must apply for Visa Type D

EU/EEA or Swiss Students

EU (European Union)/EEA (European Economic Area) and Swiss students can study in Belgium without the visa or permit. The only condition that is applicable to them is that they should be registered at any educational institution in Belgium and has adequate funds to cover the expenses while studying in Belgium. They should also possess sufficient health insurance cover.

Non-EU/EEA/Swiss students

The Non-EU/EEA/Swiss students are required to apply for a Belgian student visa and/or residence permit. 

Application Process

Before applying for the visa, the candidates must apply to an officially recognised educational institution in Belgium and obtain an official acceptance letter stating that you have been accepted into the institution and course. Once you receive the letter of acceptance, apply for student visa at your nearest Belgiam Embassy or Consulate

If the course of study is more than 3 months, fill out an application form for a “Long stay” in Belgium. Along with the application form, submit the necessary documents to the Belgium Embassy or Consulate. Log on to


Following document must be submitted:
  • A valid passport copy or travel ID card copy
  • Letter of Acceptance/Conformation Letter: It must be issued from the educational institution stating that you’ve been accepted in the institution and the respective course/programme.
  • Educational Certificates copies 
  • Course/Programme details
  • Adequate funds Evidence: to cover your study and living expenses
  • Medical Certificate
  • Good Conduct Certificate
  • Language Proficiency Certificate (if applicable)
  • A Letter: It should include the reasons to select the particular course of study and institution. It should also include answers to questions like why you want to study in Belgium and benefits involved.
Candidates are also required to submit an ‘Equivalence Statement’ which demonstrates how educational qualifications received in your home country associate to Belgian qualifications.

Equivalence Statement-

To know more about an “equivalence statement” applicable in different regions in Belgium, visit-

French Community:  The Equivalence Service (Wallonia) Website

Flemish/Dutch-speaking Community:  NARIC in Flanders Website

German-speaking Community: The Ministry for the German-Speaking community Website

Candidates who already possess a higher education qualification and wish to continue their studies in Belgium, in that case, the higher education institution is in charge of establishing equivalencies.

Candidates coming from a country that is part of the the Bologna Process, their educational qualifications are recognised in Belgium. To know whether the country is a part of the Bologna Process, see  

Candidates from China are required to get an Academic evaluation certificate from the Academic Evaluation Centre (APS) of the German Embassy in Beijing in order to register at a Belgian Higher Education Institution, language or other preparatory course in Belgium, or to obtain a Belgian student visa.

After Arriving in Belgium

Once you receive the visa and reach Belgium, you have 8 working days to go to the local municipal administration offices or Town hall (maison communale/gemeentehuis) to put on record your presence and get your residence permit. 

For Family Members 

The Candidate’s family members- the spouse or dependent children can come along. The candidate needs to apply for a residence permit/visa at the Belgian embassy and submit the following documents-
  • Relationship with the member: Can be in the form of Marriage certificate (spouse), birth certificate or civil partnership (as applicable)
  • Confirmation Letter: issued by the Belgian Educational Institution confirming that you’ve been accepted onto a programme in Belgium
  • Evidence of Adequate Financial Resources
  • Evidence of Accommodation in Belgium.
Connect me with the Top Colleges
First Name:
Last Name:
E-Mail ID :
You live in:
Mobile Number:
You want to study in:
Highest Level of Education:
Study Preference:
You want to Study:
Need an education loan?
loading Processing...
  • No Articles to display

Know More »

  • No Press Releases to display

Know More »

Belgium Select a Country

Our Network :