Flemish Community Scholarship Programmes for Students in Belgium
In the Belgium/Flanders, there are many scholarship programmes being offered to students. The Flemish Department of Education and Training offers many fellowship programmes to students.
ASEM-DUO- Belgium/Flanders Fellowship Programme
"Approved in 2000 from ASEM III Summit and commenced in 2001. ASEM-DUO Fellowship Programme has supported exchanges of professors and students in tertiary education field between Asia and Europe under ASEM domain. Current ASEM Partners are eligible for ASEM-DUO Fellowship Programme", quotes official website. Following are ASEM DUO partner countries:
Asia Partner Countries: Australia, Bangladesh, Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, China, India, Indonesia, Japan, Kazakhstan, Korea, Laos, Malaysia, Mongolia, Myanmar, New Zealand, Pakistan, Philippines, Russia, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam
Europe Partner Countries: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the U.K.
Transition Fellowship Programme
The Flemish Department of Education and Training provide scholarships under the Transition-Belgium/Flanders Fellowship programme to encourage student exchanges between Belgium/Flanders and four countries in Transition- South Africa, Brazil, Turkey and Morocco. Two students “pair” will be exchanged.
Duration: 1 month to 1 year
For each of the four countries in transition involved, the preferred forms of mobility are-
- Brazil: for Flemish students solely, both short and long mobility
- Morocco: duo-fellowships for both Flemish and Asian students- Short as well as long mobility
- South Africa: duo-fellowships for both Flemish and Asian students- Short as well as long mobility
- Turkey: duo-fellowships for both Flemish and Asian students- Short mobility of 1-2 months
Other Funding Opportunities
International students are eligible for a Flemish scholarship or grant if the following conditions are met:
For EU Citizens:
- If one of your parents has worked in Belgium for a minimum of 12 months in over 2 years, or
- You have worked in Belgium for about 12 months, within any given period of 2 consecutive years in the past, or
- You have been staying in Belgium along with your family for the past 5 consecutive years.
For Non EU citizens:
- You possess a permanent residence permit, or
- You are recognized as a refugee, or
- You are the beneficiary of subsidiary protection, or
- You possess a residence permit, apart from a student or work visa, that is valid for a minimum of 12 months, or
- You’re a recognized victim of human trafficking, or
- You possess a residence permit because of family reunification with a member of your family who fulfills one of the above stated criteria.
- You are enrolled as a regular student
- You fulfill the financial condition requirements
Other Scholarships Providers
The government or private organisations in your home country awards scholarships. Many of the Flemish Universities also provide study grants. The international organisations, like WHO, EU, UNESCO, NATO, FAO, EOSR, and service clubs also provide scholarships to students.
Erasmus Mundus Scholarships : Such scholarships permit students from outside the EU to take up the Erasmus Mundus Master programme leading to a degree.
Also, there are Erasmus Mobility Scholarships for pupils from one of the participating countries in the Lifelong Learning Programme. To know more about it, get in contact with the local university.